Seam Finishes and a Men's Blazer in Progress

I had to share this work in progress today because the inside is making me positively giddy. This is a special gift for K's birthday next month - an unlined casual men's sportscoat/blazer based on this beautiful jacket from Taylor and Stitch. Each inside seam is finished with a bound Hong Kong seam, which I absolutely love for its clean finish and flash of color. On a men's navy jacket, it was fun to throw in just a bit of personality on the inside. 

 

Although I set out to make all my projects exceptionally well finished and constructed (don't we all?), sometimes oftentimes the desire for a new finished garment wins out, and my seam finishes are less than stellar. But every once in a while, I work on a project where the details and craftsmanship take center stage. Don't get me wrong, it is not perfect, but I'm very pleased with how it looks. 


The garment is done and awaiting his birthday at the beginning of December, when I will share some more complete pictures with you. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it fits!


To keep everything neat and flat, I did a small variation on the traditional Hong Kong seam finish, which anchors it to the fabric and creates the look of a faux flat-felled seam on the outside, with a second row of stitching running parallel to the seam. Here is the process: 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...