Vintage Blouse

Pattern: McCall's Misses' and Junior Blouses and One-Yard Skirts #5533
Cost: $7
Fabric: 1 yd woven fabric, probably a thick polyester



Right after making my pants, I jumped into my next project, a blouse pattern. I have found myself admiring a lot of outfits that involve button-up shirts, and decided I should be adding more to my sewn wardrobe. I had three yards of this fabric, originally intended for this project (vastly different, I know!), and had picked up this great vintage pattern at the Alameda Antique Faire, which I thought had the greatest little collar on it.

After the quick success of the pants, however, this blouse was an exercise in patience, taking about two weeks of work. It required a lot of fitting--my usual small back adjustment, taking in the sides, lifting the shoulder seams (overall it was too big), and the fit's still not great.

The main lesson I learned is that I don't like tucks on any garment, as they haven't worked well for me on this one or the Sencha blouse. You can see them on the back of this garment, but I removed them from the front. There's too much drapey fabric, and it's it's just not that flattering on me! I do love the color (part of my color palette!), and I think it will be perfect for work. I'm also treating the blouse as a wearable muslin for this fabulous Betsey Johnson fabric I picked up on sale.

There were also some construction elements that I loved (and will definitely be using again!). For one, the front opening is cut an extra few inches wide, and folds back as a facing. This means no attaching a separate button placket, and you can encase the front of the collar in the facing, giving a cleaner-looking finish. I also love that the collar is all one piece--no collar stand. I'm a lazy sewist, so these little pieces make for a quicker, cleaner blouse. I will definitely be incorporating these elements into my other blouse pattern, Simplicity 3684, for my next button-up.



Now to just find a crew-neck sweater to pull over it when it gets cold!

You can read my review of this pattern at PatternReview.com.

1 comment:

  1. The blouse looks beautiful on you Meg! I'm with you, I don't think I care for tuck darts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...