Winter Casual Stripe Dress

Pattern: McCall's Misses' Tops M6164, elongated
Fabric: 1 yd cotton knit
Cost: $18

With my original striped dress shrunk in the wash and beginning to come apart, I decided it was time to make up another. I bought this beautiful striped cotton knit on sale, and this being my third casual striped dress is literally took only about two hours from start to finish. This was greatly aided by my recent serger class, with everything going together really smoothly. It has a rolled hem and cuffed sleeves and collar.

(Please excuse the kinesio tape on my knee.)



You can read my review of this pattern at PatternReview.com.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Striped jersey dresses are so....wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be very practiced at the rolled hem. I feel like I remember you saying you have a rolled hem foot. I'm thinking about getting one, and I was wondering if there was a size you preferred or any tricks or tips you have to offer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy!

    In my posts, I'm usually referring to one of two types of rolled hems. Here, the rolled hem is done on my serger. You can read more about it here: http://megmadethis.blogspot.com/2011/10/serger-stitch-dictionary.html. Basically, in this stitch the tension of the threads is adjusted so the upper looper thread extends over the raw edge of the fabric to the back, creating a nice clean edge.

    In some of my other posts (like the Rorschach Shirt: http://megmadethis.blogspot.com/2011/09/rorschach-shirt.html), I'm referring to a rolled hem done on my regular machine. This uses that special foot, and is really great on thin to medium weight non-stretch fabrics, like quilting cotton. I don't recommend it for knits (guess how I know...) because it stretches the hem out too much. It also doesn't work well on bulky fabrics or over bulky seams.

    I have 4mm and 6mm rolled hem feet that I got online (http://bit.ly/vzGyVn ). To help me sew in a straight line, I usually mark a line in chalk about 1" from the edge, and line the foot up with it. I then feed the fabric through the little spiral. It's also nice to make sure the tension on your machine is correct, as the bobbin thread is the one that will show on the right side of your fabric. It takes a bit of practice, but can turn out really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...